Monday, November 5, 2012

Gobble Gobble!

I don't know about you, but I am ready for some Turkey.  Thanksgiving is still weeks away, so I guess my new Turkey Hat will have to do until then! 
I am super excited about this crochet pattern.  Hope you all love it as much as I do!

Swirls and Sprinkles: Crochet Turkey hat
Turkey Hat

You may not change or sell my patterns in part or in whole.  You may sell your finished product, but I ask that you give credit for the pattern by linking back to me.

What you will need:
Worsted weight yarn.  I used brown, red, yellow, orange, white, and black
I hook
H hook
Yarn needle
Scissors


Earflap Hat
Child size
I hook
Ww yarn (brown)

Round 1: ch2 Magic circle, 10 dc in circle.  Join in first dc.  (10 dc)
Round 2: ch 2 2 dc in each st around.  Join in first dc.  (20 dc)
Round 3: ch 2 *2 dc in first st, 1 dc in next st* repeat around.  Join in first dc.  (30 dc)
Round 4: ch 2 *2 dc in first st, 1 dc in next 2 st’s* repeat around.  Join in first dc.  (40 dc)
Round 5: ch 2 *2 dc in first st, 1 dc in next 3 st’s* repeat around.  Join in first dc.  (50 dc)
Round 6-13: ch 2, dc in each st around.  Join in first dc.  (50 dc)
Do not fasten off.

Right Earflap.
Row 1: ch 1 hdc in next 10 st.
Row 2: ch 1, turn,  hdc2tog , sc in next 6 st‘s, sc2tog. (8 sc)
Row 3: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across.  (8 sc)
Row 4: ch 1, turn, hdc2tog, sc in next 4 st’s, sc2tog.  (6 sc)
Row 5: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across.  (6 sc)
Row 6: ch 1, turn,  hdc2tog, sc in next 2 st’s, sc2tog.  (4 sc)
Row 7: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across.  (4 sc)
Row 8: ch 1, turn, hdc2tog twice.  (2 sc)
Fasten off

Left Earflap
Count 16 st’s to the left.  Join yarn in 16th st.
Row 1: ch 1 hdc in next 10 st.
Row 2: ch 1, turn,  hdc2tog , sc in next 6 st‘s, sc2tog. (8 sc)
Row 3: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across.  (8 sc)
Row 4: ch 1, turn, hdc2tog, sc in next 4 st’s, sc2tog.  (6 sc)
Row 5: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across.  (6 sc)
Row 6: ch 1, turn,  hdc2tog, sc in next 2 st’s, sc2tog.  (4 sc)
Row 7: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across.  (4 sc)
Row 8: ch 1, turn, hdc2tog twice.  (2 sc)
Do not fasten off.

Ch 1, hdc in each st around, 2 hdc in each of the 2 st at the bottom of the earflaps.

Beak:
Using H hook
Using orange
Ch 7
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. Turn.(6sc)
Row 2: ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 2 st, sc2tog.  Turn (4sc)
Row 3: ch 1, sc in each st across.  Turn (4sc)
Row 4: ch 1, sc2tog twice. Turn (2sc)
Row 5: ch 1, sc in each st across.  Turn (2sc)
Row 6: ch 1, sc2tog. Turn (1sc)
Row 7: ch 1, sc.
Fasten off leaving long tail to sew onto hat.

Eyes:
H hook
Using black (make 2)
Make magic circle
Ch 1, 10 hdc into circle.  Join with first hdc and fasten off.  Leave a long tail for sewing.
Pull center tight and secure it.
H hook
Using white (make 2)
Make magic circle
Round 1: ch 1, 12 hdc into circle, join with first hdc.
Round 1: ch 1, 2 hdc in each st around, join with first hdc.  (24hdc)
Fasten off leaving long tail for sewing.
Pull center tight and secure it.


Wattle
H hook
Using Red
Ch 21
Sc in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc in next ch, 2 hdc in next 5 ch’s, 2 dc in each of the remaining ch’s, sl st into last ch and finish off.
When attaching the wattle, attach yarn to the end with the sc’s and attach next to the beak.

Pom pom
Use Red, Yellow, Orange, and Brown
Holding all 4 colors together, wrap around your hand or piece of cardboard until you get the thickness you would like.  I wrapped about 25-30 times.
Carefully slide the yarn off of your hand or cardboard.
Using a length of brown yarn, tie a knot TIGHTLY around the middle of your pom.  You will have two sides of loops once you have tied your brown yarn around the pom
Once you have the pom secured, cut the loops.
Give your pom a haircut to even it out, but DON’T cut the brown yarn you used to secure your pom.  You will use this length of yarn to fasten the pom to the hat.


Braids (make 2)
Using Red, Yellow, Orange, and Brown.
Cut 3 lengths of each color of yarn approx 38 inches long.
Fold the lengths of yarn in half and attach to the bottom of the earflap.
Braid down the length of the yarn and tie a knot at the end.

Using the photo as a guide, sew all the pieces onto the hat.
Weave in all ends.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this pattern!!

    I played around with the sizing a bit, and came up with a hat that fitted me, so I now have a really quirky hat to wear once the weather gets colder :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I am glad you enjoyed the pattern. :)

      Delete
  2. What size is this pattern for? Baby? Adult? It's the cutest one I've found!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rofl Oh I want this :) Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo making this for myself! I'm a crossing guard and my kids never know what kind of hat I will be wearing! I already have a chicken hat for easter (I call it my PEEP hat!) This is going to be too cool!

    ReplyDelete